Tuesday, 21 February 2012

New York

Phew last week went by at such a fast pace. We dropped Charlotte off at my Mum and Dad's on the Sunday and then Les and I headed off to the Premier Inn at Heathrow.  Our flight on the Monday was at 09.40 which went according to plan, we boarded on time and then sat and waited and waited.  The Captain made an announcement that there was a problem with one of the engines (if I wasn't nervous enough) and that he wanted to test it, but needed everyone off the plane so they could move the plane away from the hub.  We wandered around the terminal and fell across a Cath Kidston shop, so naturally I went and consoled myself in there for a while!! ;)  This really wasn't the best start and we had a fairly hectic schedule when we arrived at New York, we planned to get the tour bus on the Monday afternoon, but as time went on we knew that this may not be possible.  We eventually flew out 12.45.  Once there we shared a shuttle cab (which seemed to take forever) to the hotel, we dumped our luggage and went for a wander around.  We seemed to be in prime position as The Rockerfeller Centre was just a 5 minute walk away.  I started snapping away with my camera, and started hitting the shops.

We didn't venture onto the ice rink, but stood and watched people trying to skate!!.

Tuesday we were up with the lark and headed over to Times Square, although nothing really opened until 10am so we went for a Starbucks and took in the bright lights.  I loved Times Square, so loud and busy, such a tourist trap.  I went into the M&M shop oh gosh I could have bought one of everything in there.

We then walked to Macy's to buy some Levi's for my Dad and Brother, this shop is huge and I got lost and gave up looking for the woman's wear floor!! ;).  Then moved onto The Empire State building, and then we walked the length of Fifth Avenue.  Found several shops including Build-a-bear (I took Charlotte's bear's pawsport to get stamped), Barnes and Noble the book shop and of course Tiffany's!.  Les treated me to a silver necklace for my Birthday which was so exciting.  We walked to Central Park for a cuppa and then walked back to our Hotel for a rest, before going out to collect our tickets for Mary Poppins in the evening.  What a day and we were exhausted by the end of it, but very happy.

Wednesday morning I left Les is bed as he was suffering from a migraine, so I went out for breakfast and went out with my flexible friend (credit card) and hit the shops, I had a great time and feel across the shop Anthropology, wow what a shop it sells clothes with a vintage feel plus stationery and home ware goods.  I must of been wandering around for an hour in this shop, I loved it.  It was a shame Les was poorly as we had booked to go to the 911 Memorial at 11am but there was no way that Les could have gone.  By the afternoon he was feeling brighter so we grabbed a cab to the Statue of Liberty and got the boat over to see it.

Lower and Mid Manhattan

Les took a picture of me with my Lego State of Liberty, with the real Lady behind.

By Thursday we had our last look around before heading back to the airport. Crazily busy time but we enjoyed it all the same.

If you have made it this far, thanks for bearing with me.


  1. Some really great photos, looks like you had a great time despite the shaky start.
    I have made a note of Antropology as I am off to NYC in June with my 2 DDs and DGD. How lovely to be treated to your birthday present in Tiffany's.

  2. Oh wow, it looked like you had a fabulous time. I really want to go there !!!! xxxx

  3. Looks like you had a great time :) There's a huge M&M store in Leicester Square if you ever get the urge for a shopping spree!